The family tradition goes back far before the construction of the two castles Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau: The ancestors of the family have been living in the Alpseestraße in Hohenschwangau since 1805, with their farm and even the ruin of the old castle Hohenschwangau once belonged to the property of the family before they sold it to Maximilian in Munich to build a new stable with the proceeds. King Ludwig II's father built a castle in place of the ruins and the family could enjoy their summer retreat in Hohenschwangau: King Ludwig II recognized this special place and years later built his castle Neuschwanstein opposite which brought the region fame all over the world.
In 1972, the farmhouse was demolished by the direct descendants Anneliese and Otto Schönauer and an inn was built and operated, which was taken over by Annette Schönauer-Wacker in 1996 and expanded into a hotel with restaurant. To this day, she and her husband Ludwig Wacker run the Alpenstuben Hotel Restaurant, the gift boutique in the hotel and the neighboring Ludwigs Stüberl. In 2012, 300m away, the 4-star Hotel Villa Ludwig was built and opened.
Hotel Alpenstuben is constantly renovated to offer the best standard to its guests. The host couple Ludwig Wacker and Annette Schönauer-Wacker run their businesses with a fantastic and motivated team of many years with lots of joy and commitment.